Wherever your pet goes, he needs the right documents. See further below.

Regardless of the destination chosen, your pet will need proper documentation for the location.

The documents also vary according to the type of transport to be used.

The pet that enters any country WITHOUT the required and legalized documentation is subject to apprehension, deportation or even the sacrifice of the animal.

Click on the options below for specific information, or contact our team.

We are at your disposal!

National Travel

For destinations within Brazil, an updated Vaccination Card for the animal is required, proving vaccination against rabies, and the Animal Health Certificate issued by the veterinarian registered at CRMV-UF. It can be performed by your veterinarian of choice, duly registered with the competent body of your State.

​The certificate must be issued within 10 (ten) days before the trip and contain the following information:

  1. Owner identification (full name, address, RG and CPF, telephone).
  2. Identification of the animal (name, species, date of birth, microchip, coat, breed).
  3. Information about vaccinations (complete information about immunization against rabies*)
  4. Information about antiparasitic treatment.
  5. Animal health information.
  6. Identification of the veterinarian with stamp and registration with the competent body.
  7. Date and place

*If the certificate states that the rabies vaccination is up to date, this is sufficient as a transport document.

The animal's updated passport is also accepted.

Other animal species other than dogs and cats require the Animal Transit Guide (GTA), issued by the Livestock, Fisheries and Supply Department (Seappas) of the states or municipalities, decree No.

​Dogs and cats are exempt from the GTA according to Normative Instruction nº 18, of July 18, 2006.

SOURCE: Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Supply

International travel

Each country has its own rules for the entry of pets into its territory. The usual documents required must certify the animal's conditions and health history as well as compliance with the sanitary requirements of the country of destination.

The documents used for this purpose are the CVI (International Veterinary Certificate) and the Passport for the Transit of Dogs and Cats, which are issued by Federal Agricultural Tax Auditors of the International Agricultural Surveillance units (Vigiagro), linked to the Department of Agricultural Defense (SDA). ) of the Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Supply.

​The CVI must be issued prior to any travel undertaken by the animal. The Passport, on the other hand, is a document with greater validity, being updated and validated by the AFFA with the health information at the time of the trip.

To enter the country of destination, the CVI must be issued by VIGIAGRO, the department of the Ministry of Agriculture responsible for releasing animals abroad. Each country has a specific validity of CVI, consult the country of destination. Plan your trip in advance to avoid inconveniences that prevent the animal from boarding. It is suggested to contact the CVI issuing units at least 30 days in advance, since appointments are subject to prior appointment.

​The CVI will be valid for entry and return to MERCOSUR countries for 60 days from the date of issue. *The rabies vaccination must be within the validity period of the CVI. (Normative Instruction 05/2013).

In addition to these documents, some countries require other specific documents to allow the animal to enter. On the MAPA website you can get the main information for the chosen destination.

SOURCE: Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Supply


The passport will be granted to those who meet the following requirements:

  1. Born at least 90 (ninety) days ago.
  2. Born in Brazil or abroad (imported definitively).
  3. Created by owners residing in Brazil.
  4. Have been examined by a veterinarian accredited by CRMV-UF, who attests to the good health of the animal.

​The owner must print and fill out the application for the Granting of a Passport for Dogs and Cats and go to a VIGIAGRO System Unit authorized to issue the passport with the original copies and copies of the following documents:

  1. Official identification document of the owner and proof of residence in Brazil.
  2. Document proving the application of the microchip, containing the number, application date and location, duly signed by the responsible technician.
  3. Animal health certificate, issued in accordance with the provisions of the legislation of the Federal Council of Veterinary Medicine, valid for a maximum of 10 (ten) days from the date of issue until the submission of the Application for Granting a Passport for the Transit of Dogs and Cats to the MAPA Unit.
  4. Declaration signed by the owner of the animal, listing the names of individuals authorized to carry out national and international transit transporting the animal for company purposes
  5. Power of attorney granting powers, in cases of request via the owner's legal representative.

The animal must be taken when requesting the passport to read the microchip and confirm the information.

​The passport is for life and takes around 30 (thirty) days to issue.

SOURCE: Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Supply

CVI (International Veterinary Certificate)

Click here to consult the CVI issuance locations.

The brokerage contract is not mandatory for the issuance of CVI.

The pet that enters any country WITHOUT the required and legalized documentation is subject to apprehension, deportation or even the sacrifice of the animal.

SOURCE: Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Supply

Ground transportation


According to Detran.SP, it is prohibited to transport the animal on the driver's lap, on the passenger seat or on the outside of the vehicle, which may result in a fine and points on the driver's license.

Avoid leaving the animal traveling with its head out of the window, as this can cause damage to the animal's health and accidents.

The ideal for this type of transport is to take the animals inside the transport boxes. Another option is specific car seats for small animals or seat belts for doctors and large animals. These equipments are found and sold at pet supply stores.

​For more information, Procon has a booklet in which it provides tips for transporting animals.


​To travel by bus with the animal, it is necessary to present the animal's Vaccination Card, with up-to-date vaccines, especially rabies, in addition to the animal's Health Certificate issued by veterinarians registered with the CRMV-UF of the state in which works.

​The animal must be transported inside the transport box and cannot be left unattended during the trip.

If the owner of the animal wants his animal to be accommodated in the armchair next to him, he must pay an extra ticket for the animal.

​For guide dogs, it is not necessary to purchase a ticket to transport the animal.

​Each bus company has its own rules for transporting the animal, and it is important to get in touch to clarify any questions before the trip takes place.

SOURCE: saopaulo.sp.gov.br

Air Transport

Each airline has its own rules and conditions. Click on the search links for the airline of your choice.